The Soldier’s Monument honoring Williams students and alumni who fought during the US Civil War is of note as it is one of the earliest memorials to veterans and the war dead still extant on college and university grounds, as most such monuments were not commissioned until the early twentieth century. This was commissioned by the Society of Alumni of Williams College and dedicated in 1868.
Dedicated in 1868
Designed by James Goodwin Batterson (b. 1823 Bloomfield, CT; d. 1901 Hartford, CT)